Saturday, July 26, 2003


I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

...Robert Frost


I felt a strong sense of disenchantment with the American built environment after having lived in Augsburg, Germany for two years. Augsburg is a great walkable city built on a fairly dense scale. I traveled everywhere by some combination of walking, trolley, train, and bus. I didn't even own a car while living there.

Years later I'm surveying the sprawling car-culture of Atlanta, the city where I live. I've decided that I'm at a point in my life where I want to do something about it. I hope this blog will help me clarify my thoughts, inspire change, and connect with the community of like-minded individuals I know is out there.

Helping Atlantans overcome auto-addiction isn't going to be easy -- but it'll be worth it. There are some very positive trends that lead me to believe we're at a tipping point to Atlanta becoming a world-class transit metropolis: Recent ARC TOD Funding, a growing Belt Line coalition, and PATH Foundation's continued progress, are but a few.

As a citizen, I want to do my part in helping to spur this change through education and activism. As a real estate counselor, I've decided to specialize in transit- and trail- oriented real estate. I call it "trail" and "rail" estate (www.atl-trailandrail.net). It may be the road less traveled, but in the end, I believe it'll make all the difference....