Sunday, September 11, 2005

The Soup Peddler Publishes

If it's true that we are leaving the era of cheap oil, then the societal down-/re-scaling we are approaching need not be something to be feared. The return to communal relationships, working intimately with your neighbors, localized food production and enterprise, and human empowerment through walking and biking may be the best thing that ever happened to us and provide us with healthier bodies and more satisfied spirits than we could ever hope to get from the current culture of amusing ourselves to death.

One messiah leading the way to this brave new (but familiar) world is David Ansel, The Soup Peddler of Austin, Texas. His new book, The Soup Peddler's Slow & Difficult Soups: Recipes and Reveries is more than just a collection of recipes. Like he says in his book's introduction, "It's about how the mundane aspects of life, such as food and work, can be utterly consuming and rewarding, as long as they are humbly infused with your spirit and creativity. It's about how, when you involve your neighbors and friends in this joie de vivre, your community becomes an inspired and inspiring place. Finally, it's about how sharing yourself in this way foments tikkun olam, the repair of the world, which is a hopeful, participatory theory unto which one must cleave when civilization appears to be in rapid decline."

Visit The Soup Peddler online at www.thesouppeddler.com.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Great post cyburke!, I have been looking to get the latest info on peachtree city real estate and found your site when I did a search on Google. Admittedly, this post wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it got my attention and I figured I'd drop a comment. I can see why I found your page when I was looking for peachtree city real estate related information and I'm glad I stopped by to say "Hi" even though this isn't a perfect match. Once again, Great post cyburke I'll bookmark your site for the future. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Hi cyburke. I was wondering why there are so many irrelevant post. I mean I'm all for promoting a back link but, dang, you'd think they would get a little more creative. Can the post be deleted? Anyway, thanks for keeping it real. And if you ever want to chat follow atlanta real estate

Anonymous said...

Genie and the Taliban

Three guys: a Canadian, Osama bin Laden, and Uncle Sam are out walking together one day. They come across a lantern and a genie pops out of it.
"I will give each of you each one wish. That's three wishes total," says the genie.

The Canadian says, "I'm a farmer, my dad was a farmer, and my son will also farm. I want the land to be forever fertile in Canada."

With a blink of the genie's eye, *POOF* the land in Canada was forever made fertile for farming.

Bin Laden was amazed, so he said, "I want a wall around Afghanistan, so that no infidels, Jews, or Americans can come into our precious state."

Again, with a blink of the genie's eye, *POOF* there was a huge wall around Afghanistan.

"Uncle Sam" (A former civil engineer), asks, "I'm very curious. Please tell me more about this wall."

The Genie explains, "Well, it's about 15,000 feet high, 500 feet thick, and completely surrounds the country; nothing can get in or out - it's virtually impenetrable."

Uncle Sam says, "Fill it with water."

Unknown said...

Need to repair your bike? Then why not visit www.smbbearings.com/BB_BRGS.htm for a great article about replacing your bike's bottom bracket bearings, the photos are a real help too.