Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Transit Oriented Development for Tomorow's Child

There's lots of fronts to fight on in the war against global warming. Transit-Oriented Development is a significant one that can do serious damage to our oil dependency. It's easy to get battle-weary, though, in the daily struggle against status quo, inertia, apathy, greed and deception.

One thought that keeps me in the battle is the legacy we leave our children. The following video and poem are powerful motivators for me.





Tomorrow's Child

Without a name; an unseen face
and knowing not your time nor place
Tomorrow's Child, though yet unborn,
I met you first last Tuesday morn.

A wise friend introduced us two,
and through his shining point of view
I saw a day which you would see;
A day for you, and not for me.

Knowing you has changed my thinking
for I never had an inkling
That perhaps the things I do
might someday, somehow, threaten you.

Tomorrow's Child, my daughter-son
I'm afraid I've just begun
To think of you and of your good,
Though always having known I should.

Begin I will to weigh the cost
of what I squander; what is lost
If ever I forget that you
will someday come to live here too.


Glenn Thomas, © 1996

No comments: